Current:Home > InvestPoinbank:Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric "unacceptable" -Infinite Edge Learning
Poinbank:Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric "unacceptable"
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:42:15
Washington — Former Vice President Mike Pence said Sunday that former President Donald Trump's recent rhetoric about individuals facing charges related to their involvement in the Jan. 6,Poinbank 2021 attack on the Capitol are "unacceptable."
"I think it's very unfortunate at a time that there are American hostages being held in Gaza, that the President or any other leader will refer to people that are moving through our justice system as hostages," Pence said Sunday on "Face the Nation." "It's just unacceptable."
- Transcript: Former Vice President Mike Pence on "Face the Nation," March 17, 2024
At an Ohio rally on Saturday, the former president took the stage to a song said to have been recorded by a choir of prisoners facing Jan. 6-related charges. Trump called the individuals "hostages," noting that they have been treated "terribly" and adding that "we're going to be working on that soon."
Pence, who was a target of rioters on Jan. 6 for as he was set to certify President Biden's win that day, told Margaret Brennan that he has "no doubt" that some people involved in the Jan. 6 attack were "caught up in the moment and entered the Capitol." He then noted that those individuals are entitled to due process. But he added that "the assaults on police officers, ultimately an environment that claimed lives, is something that I think was tragic."
"I'll never diminish it," Pence said.
The comments come after Pence said Friday that he will not endorse former President Donald Trump. He reiterated that sentiment on Sunday, saying that he "cannot in good conscience" endorse Trump this year.
The former vice president noted that while Jan. 6 is among the differences between himself and Trump, the reasons he says he will not endorse Trump go further.
"For me, the reason why I won't endorse Donald Trump this year is because I see him departing from the mainstream conservative agenda that has defined the Republican Party over the last 40 years, and still has the best hope for the future of the country," Pence said.
Pence abandoned his own presidential campaign months ago, as his White House bid struggled to take off. The decision not to endorse Trump appears to be a departure from early in the primary campaign. At the time, Pence raised his hand during a GOP debate to signal that he would support the former president as the party's nominee even if he were convicted of a crime.
Trump and President Biden last week became the presumptive nominees of their respective parties.
Kaia HubbardKaia Hubbard is a politics reporter for CBS News Digital based in Washington, D.C.
TwitterveryGood! (7)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Make Waves With These 17 The Little Mermaid Gifts
- Twitter suspends several journalists who shared information about Musk's jet
- Hundreds of Toxic Superfund Sites Imperiled by Sea-Level Rise, Study Warns
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Detlev Helmig Was Frugal With Tax Dollars. Then CU Fired Him for Misusing Funds.
- U.S. destroys last of its declared chemical weapons
- Trump’s New Clean Water Act Rules Could Affect Embattled Natural Gas Projects on Both Coasts
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- RHONJ: Teresa Giudice and Joe Gorga Share Final Words Before Vowing to Never Speak Again
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- The Postal Service pledges to move to an all-electric delivery fleet
- These could be some of the reasons DeSantis hasn't announced a presidential run (yet)
- Eminem's Daughter Alaina Marries Matt Moeller With Sister Hailie Jade By Her Side
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Sam Bankman-Fried to be released on $250 million bail into parents' custody
- Besieged by Protesters Demanding Racial Justice, Trump Signs Order Waiving Environmental Safeguards
- India Is Now Investing More in Solar than Coal, but Will Its Energy Shift Continue?
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Residents Want a Stake in Wisconsin’s Clean Energy Transition
Trade War Fears Ripple Through Wind Energy Industry’s Supply Chain
Climate Change is Weakening the Ocean Currents That Shape Weather on Both Sides of the Atlantic
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
People in Lebanon are robbing banks and staging sit-ins to access their own savings
Following Berkeley’s Natural Gas Ban, More California Cities Look to All-Electric Future
Sam Bankman-Fried to be released on $250 million bail into parents' custody